A lecture that I really enjoyed and took a lot away from is one of the very first lectures of the semester. The lecture was about literature. I was very happy to learn from this lecture because it taught me literature's true purpose. Literature is the written word. Through literature we are informed, we are entertained. We can relate and we can use literature to promote social and political change, I love to read, whether its books, plays, articles or poetry. Through this lesson I learned that literature does not only have the purpose to entertain and inform, like in novels and textbooks, but it is also a way to relay ideas to others. You can share your ideas and people can relate to these ideas on their own level.
Literature is the written word, it is the immortality of speech. In the word of Professor Brady "it is the quintessence of the human experience." Audience in literature is a major component. Walt Whitman once said "To have great poets, there must be great audiences." I believe that, being that literature is a device meant to express ideas for which the author intends, the audience matters very much, great literature cannot be recognized without a great audience!

No comments:
Post a Comment