Monday, May 7, 2018

If A Poem Hasn't Ripped Apart Your Soul; You Haven't Experienced Poetry- Edgar Allan Poe





My favorite lecture of all was the "Introduction To Poetry" lecture. I love how poetry is an expression of human emotions. I learned that poetry is not meant to be simply read, it is meant to be heard and felt. This lesson made me realize that a song is not just a song, it is pure poetry. In class we read verses of Ed Sheeran's "Thinking Out Loud" as a form of poetry. Reading the song in poetry form shed a whole new light on the words for me. I have always listened to songs based on their lyrics, because the words mean something and are not just a bunch of words with a melody accompanying them. Among the poem that were introduced in our poetry unit I was most captivated by "Funeral Blues" by W. H. Auden. The poet was able to convey all of the emotions of a person mourning the loss of a loved one through his words. I believe that anyone that reads this poem can feel the love and the sadness behind the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment